For many of us, for too long, Christianity has been unhelpfully entangled with Western culture. Pastor and author Mandy Smith teaches us that the way forward is to embrace childlike faith again. In her new book Unfettered: Imagining a Childlike Faith Beyond the Baggage of Western Culture, she lays out a model of learning that helps us disentangle our faith from its imaginative captivity to Western culture: Rest, Receive, and Respond.
Originally from Australia, Mandy Smith is a pastor, author and speaker. Mandy loves the opportunity to engage Christian thinkers and leaders through her speaking and writing. She is a regular contributor to Christianity Today and Missio Alliance and the author of The Vulnerable Pastor: How Human Limitations Empower Our Ministry(IVP) and Unfettered: Imagining a Childlike Faith Beyond the Baggage of Western Culture (Brazos). Mandy and her husband, a New Testament professor, live with their family in a little house where the teapot is always warm.
- Mandy’s blog post about her crazy move (includes the link to the full “cheese chasing” show on Netflix).
- A shorter version of the “cheese chasing” on Youtube
- A short version of the emptying prayer Mandy mentioned
- A longer version of the emptying prayer
From our sponsors
- Interested in getting some soul care this fall? Connect with Matt Alexander’s Soul Care Cohorts by filling out this interest form.
- Check out Gravity Leadership Academy, our 10-month training intensive for Christian leaders who want to bring lasting transformation to their culture.
Connect with Gravity Leadership
Here are a few ways to stay connected:
- Support out work on Patreon and get access to our Practitioner Podcast
- Join our online community (FREE) to get a curated list of interesting and edifying articles each week, plus free resources for leading like Jesus, living on mission, and making disciples. Fill out the form below to join us.
A special Thank You to our Membership Community on Patreon who help make this podcast possible:
Skeeter Seifert, David Veenstra, Jackie Harden, Brian Smith, Ron McGowin, Michael Linsner, Parker Williams, Sue Nellis, Craig Conaway, Lana, Jay, Matthew Aldas, Dan Bredberg, Catherine Savard, Jerry Bowling, Cody Reeder, Mike Scott, Andrew Boness, Rich & Heather Cordero, Mike and Christy Trabun, Robert H Lackie, Laura Moon, Matt Tebbe, Dr. Phillip Martin Corbell, Jenny Hackman Arnerl, David Stravers, Bryan Mills, Steve Earnshaw, Jesse Harden, Eric Nordgren, Matthew Young, Gino Curcuruto, Carla Daehnke, Greg Arthur, Megan Olson and others!