The church doesn’t have a great track record when it comes to dealing with suicide in a healthy, helpful way. We talk with David Galvan, Director of Education for a Lifetime, about how Christians can learn to talk openly about suicide and mental illness without fear or shame.
David has been teaching, training, and facilitating conversations with students about healthy relationships since 2010. He has been on 24 high school campuses in El Paso County and has personally spoken to over 20,000 students. For the past four years, he has been meeting with students and faith communities about suicide prevention and suicide awareness with the goals of reducing the stigma around mental health and encouraging students to know they are needed, loved, and valued.
He is part of the El Paso County Youth Suicide Prevention Workgroup and sits on their steering committee. David is a certified trainer in Youth Mental Health First Aid and Adverse Childhood Experiences. He is dedicated to the mission of Education for a Lifetime that every student should have healthy, non-violent relationships, and have access to help and hope to live purposefully.
- Darkness is My Only Companion: A Christian Response to Mental Illness, by Kathryn Greene-Mccreight
- Grace for the Afflicted: A Clinical and Biblical Perspective on Mental Illness, by Matthew Stanford
- Troubled Minds: Mental Illness and the Church’s Mission, by Amy Simpson
Connect with Gravity Leadership
Want to stay connected with us? Here are a few ways:
- Support out work on Patreon and get access to our Practitioner Podcast
- Check out Gravity Leadership Academy, our 10-month training intensive for Christian leaders who want to bring lasting transformation to their culture.
- Join our online community (FREE) to get a curated list of interesting and edifying articles each week, plus free resources for leading like Jesus, living on mission, and making disciples. Fill out the form below to join us.
A special Thank You to our Membership Community on Patreon who help make this podcast possible:
Skeeter Seifert, David Veenstra, Jackie Harden, Brian Smith, Ron McGowin, Michael Linsner, Parker Williams, Sue Nellis, Craig Conaway, Lana, Jay, Matthew Aldas, Dan Bredberg, Catherine Savard, Jerry Bowling, Cody Reeder, Mike Scott, Andrew Boness, Rich & Heather Cordero, Mike and Christy Trabun, Robert H Lackie, Laura Moon, Matt Tebbe, Dr. Phillip Martin Corbell, Jenny Hackman Arnerl, David Stravers, Bryan Mills, Steve Earnshaw, Jesse Harden, Eric Nordgren, Matthew Young, Gino Curcuruto, Carla Daehnke, Greg Arthur, Megan Olson and others!