In this episode Ben and Matt talk with Bonnie Kristian about how faith and flexibility go together. We often think of them as opposites, but in fact we need some flexibility for our faith to grow.
Topics in this episode:
- In seasons of disillusionment, how can we let our faith be flexible without losing our faith all together?
- Is there only one way to have faith? Is it that we need to be certain on what is right and what is wrong?
- Does being flexible mean that you have to compromise and make concessions. Is being faithful mean drawing the lines and holding the doors?
- Can you hold onto the core of Christ and basic dogmas of the faith and be able to examine other things faithfully?
- Is faith mental certainty? If I don’t have it is God disappointed in me? Am I in trouble with God if I have doubts and questions?
- Is faith just a house of cards? Where if you pull out one card the whole thing falls apart?
- Faith is as much what I believe as how I believe it.
- Faith is interpersonal trust. Our trust in a person that makes uncertainty and worrisome less troublesome. That journey is safe and even holy.
Bonnie Kristian is an editor at The Week and fellow at Defense Priorities. Her writing has also appeared at other publications, including Time, CNN, Politico, The Hill, Relevant Magazine, Rare, The American Conservative, and more. In 2016, Kristian graduated from Bethel Seminary with an M.A. in Christian Thought, and she’s currently exploring options for Ph.D. work in ethics.
Check out her book A Flexible Faith: Rethinking what it Means to Follow Jesus Today and follow her on Instagram and Twitter!
As always, check out Gravity Leadership Academy to learn more about our training and coaching for Christian leaders who want to bring lasting transformation to their cultures.
If you found this episode of the Gravity Leadership Podcast helpful, please let us know by leaving a rating and review on iTunes, or wherever you review podcasts. You can also contact us to ask a question or suggest a topic for a future episode.
And fill out the form below to join the Gravity Leadership Community. You’ll get a curated list of interesting and edifying articles every week, plus FREE resources for leading like Jesus, living on mission, and making disciples.