The Gap in Our Discipleship
Christian leaders ask all the time:
How can we bridge the gap between what we KNOW and what we DO?
Leaders typically try to bridge it in all kinds of ways:
- Some adopt a “try harder” approach, appealing to the will to fix what’s wrong. They think they can bridge the gap with behavior modification.
- Some adopt a “get smarter” approach, appealing to the intellect. They think they can bridge the gap with better teaching.
- Some adopt a “get zapped!” approach, appealing to the emotions. They think they can bridge the gap with a powerful, supernatural experience.
But here’s what we’ve noticed: these strategies may have short-term benefits, but long-term they do not produce mature, wise disciples of Jesus.
They don’t train us to trust Jesus. Instead they habituate us into moralism, emotivism, or a chasing after ecstatic experiences.
We are after transformation and reproduction, not simply smarter and better behaved Christians.
So how can we get there?
Beyond Words and Works: the WAY
To get from WORDS to WORKS, we can’t go “straight across” with knowledge, obedience, or experience.
Instead, we need to recognize that something is at work beneath the surface at the level of our desires and motivations.
We call this the WAY, and we need to be able to see it and name it if we’re going to be transformed.
Training That Integrates Words, Works, and Way
From the anchor point of the WAY of Jesus, we can begin to integrate WORDS and WORKS into a holistic model of transformative leadership that trains us to lead like Jesus, live on mission, and make disciples.
We hear the gospel, surrender to God’s WORDS of grace which transforms our love toward the kingdom, resulting in WORKS that are done in the WAY of Christ:
The right thing done for the right reason in the right way.
Training leaders has been a significant part of our ministry for the past 5 years. We’ve trained pastors and lay leaders all over the country in this process and seen fruit in their ministries.
“I am not sure I can even express how much the coaching meant to me. I learned so much from about how to teach, not just information, but skills and character. This was a big turning point in my ministry. I am intentionally making disciples of Jesus now.”
Pastor, Northgate Church, Ramsay, MN
What You’ll Learn in a Coaching Cohort:
- How to be truly present to yourself, others, and God
- How the love of Jesus Christ is actually the key to integrated discipleship
- How to listen to the Holy Spirit and discern what God is saying and doing in the everyday situations of your life
- How to become more responsive to the good news of Jesus in your life
- How to proclaim good news to others in evangelism and discipleship
- How to train others in reproducible tools for discipleship and mission
- How to develop disciples into leaders who multiply themselves
The outcome is people who are:
- At home in the love of God
- Empowered on the missional frontier
- Able to discern and proclaim the gospel of the kingdom of God in every situation.
Does this sound like something you’d love to see happen for you and those you lead?
How a Coaching Cohort Works
1. Weekly time for training, questions, and processing
You and up to five other leaders participate in a weekly 60-75 minute video call with a certified Gravity Coach for one year. We’ve found that nothing replaces the power of this simple weekly rhythm.
2. An actual relationship with your coach
In addition to the weekly call, you’ll have your coach’s cell phone number. Our coaches create enough margin in their schedule to spend time with you on issues you might want to address “offline.”
3. Early access to our latest tools and content
As a coaching participant, you’ll also get early access to the latest tools and content we are developing (we are constantly refining our training content.) In fact, you’ll actually help to shape the content, because of your participation with it in its early stages.
Who is it for?
If you’re human, this will work for you. We’ve had all kinds of people in coaching, and all kinds of people have experienced profound breakthrough in their ability to lead like Jesus in whatever context they find themselves.
Some examples of the kinds of people who have already benefited from our coaching process:
- Business owners
- Stay-at-home moms
- Missional Community leaders
- College students
- Small group leaders
“The wisdom imparted to us was so reproducible and helpful, we were sharing many of these same discipleship tools with our families, friends and fellow church members, who, in turn, told us how helpful they found these tools as well.”
Lead Pastor, Cherry Hills Baptist Church, Springfield, IL
What’s the investment?
- 75 minutes per week to participate in the video call
- Another 30-60 minutes during the week for homework/assignments, on average
- $150 per month
- There’s no binding contract to sign, and your first month is 100% refundable if you’re not satisfied with your experience.
- If you plan to participate sporadically and hope that you’ll experience the transformation by osmosis or something, do not sign up.
- If you’re not willing to put in the time required and be honest and vulnerable with your group, do not sign up.
- But if you show up ready to fully engage, do your homework, and dig into the process, we are confident it will change your life and transform your ministry.
“The coaching process was transformational for me, working on my own leadership issues and motives, and allowing God to speak into the areas of my life that needed breakthrough. Then I moved into discipling others in my church.”
Pastor, The Bridge, Allegan, MI
If you’ve already spoken with one of our coaches and you’re ready to sign up and make your first payment, click the link below to get started!
If you haven’t spoken with a coach yet, fill out the form below and one of our coaches will get in touch with you to set up a conversation to hear about current opportunities and ask any questions you may have.